Saturday, February 20, 2010

Final morning

I was up at 5 o'clock today to the sound of roosters and the darkness. I started my day thinking about the past 5 weeks I've been on the ground and now today I must go home. I have a full time job as an emergency room doctor and must return to my duties.

I currently have a staff now of 10. Its unbelievable how things have changed in such a short period of time.

Last night the team finally had a chance to go for a swim, the first time in 5 weeks. We went to Cyvadier beach just 10 minutes from Jacmel and swam in the dark and munched on chicken from Madame Barbeque. In the dark you may ask?? Yes. We can't leave the airport in the day. Its open 7 am to dusk and we are there.

We did have a special guest at the beach, one of the regional senators is a friend of my Haitian friend so he came to chat with me on the beach as he knew I was leaving soon. He's actually a dentist and has insight to the healthcare system so he will be a valued resource.

Yesterday I sat with the team to work out an organization structure to plan for my departure. Everyone has a role and through the power of the internet and (soon a new satellite system) I will still be connected to my team through skype.

I also met with the Jacmel airport authority. They have requested my help in making Jacmel an international airport. We are compiling details of flights and volunteers to date, and will research interested airlines to put forward to the National Airport Authority to seek approval for International status. I'm not sure how far it will go but to date my team is currently acting in the capacity of immigration as we take passport details of all that enter. Yes, it does sound like I've got my hands into a lot, and it is true, I do. I'm just thankful for my volunteer staff.

I met with the delegate mayor yesterday as well. We discussed the health clinics in Jacmel as he haf not been receiving all the commnications from the Dept of Health. They've been very overwhelmed as you can imagine.

Well must go now, just got a call that one of our missionary friends is unwell and we've got to get her back home to the states. There's an early plane that will get her to santiago and from there to the US.

Tiffany
Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel

No comments: